Number of French Schneider 220mm Mle 1917 entered service with the German Army after theFall of France in 1940. The gun was designated by the Germans as 220mm Kanone 532(f).
The 220mm L/34.9 gun had a range of 22000m and the rate of fire was one round per minute.Weight of each round was 104.7kg and had initial speed of 766m/s.The barrel was 7.67m long and could elevated by 37 degrees and moved horizontally by 20 degreesIts weight in a static position was 25880kg, while in a transport position 30120kg in two loads.
In May of 1941, three batteries – 470, 471 and 472 were formed with four guns each. In late 1943, there were six guns in service with 920th Costal Artillery Regiment of the 19th Army in France.Four batteries were part of the 7th Army in Normandy. In February/March of 1945, Army Group D in Western Europe had twelve gunsin three batteries along with two batteries in surrounded ports of St.Malo and La Rochelle.
This particular gun is located on the Guernsey Island in the English Channel.It was part of the "Dollman" battery of four 220mm guns at Jerbourg. It was restored by Guernsey Armories. This 220mm gun is mostlikely the onlyexample left in the world.
All photographs were provided and are property of Geoffrey Zimmer.