This unarmed armored personel carrier was based on Daimler DZVR chassis and entered service with reformed in December of 1920, Reichswehr. 105 were produced by Daimler and issued to 7 motor transport battalions (15 each). MTW was designed to carry 12 men and 3 crewmen. This heavy personel carrier weightened 11 tons and had poor cross-country performance even with four-wheel drive, because of its solid rubber tires. Vehicles remained in service into 1930s and entered service with newly formed Wehrmacht as Sd.Kfz.3. They were quickly relegated to tactical training duties as reconnaissance armored cars. Some were equipped with radio sets and frame antennas and were used as radio command vehicles.